Building the Kitson Meyer

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that I was building a Kitson-Meyer style loco for my model railway. This is a “might have been” freelance narrow gauge loco. However, the Kitson-Meyer power bogie arrangement did occur, although it wasn’t common, so the design isn’t that far fetched. The model is based on a design developed by John De Fraysinett, of County Gate fame. I liked John’s loco and wanted one for myself. I was fortunate to work with John and the desperado team at the 2013 Peterborough exhibition, during which I was able to measure up his model. I have built my own version as closely as possible to the original, so it is a true sister loco and the second in the class. It does however, have one or two detail differences for my own preferences, (e.g. location of the turbo-generator). With the exception of the N gauge Farish Class 08 chassis used to form the power bogies, the Roco valve gear and the cab sides, front and rear (spare etches from a Backwoods Miniatures etched brass kit), it is completely scratch built from soldered brass strip, tube. rod, wire and section. So the photo’s below show how I went about it.

KM_001

Basic Body Structure

KM_002

Basic Body Structure from Rear

KM_008

Internal Tank Structure

KM_006

Basic body structure complete, with whitemetal chimney and dome castings, smokebox and smokebox front, smokebox saddle finished

KM_Chassis_002

Farish 08 chassis before dismantling. Two are needed

KM_Chassis_005

Chassis dismantled and modified. Roco Valve gear before butchering.

KM_Chassis_009

Roco Valve gear grafted to Farish 08 chassis

KM_Chassis_010

Both power bogies converted

 

KM_Chassis_013

KM_Chassis_012

Trial fit of power bogies to the main body. Note details have started to be added, including smokebox door hinges.

KM_Chassis_021

KM_Chassis_019

KM_Chassis_016

The arrangement for the pivot points for the power bogie. The central spline will be soldered into the body along the boiler centerline.

KM_Chassis_022

Central spline soldered into place within the body, with pivots screwed into position.

KM_Chassis_025

Shortening the power bogie units on the inside ends – a nerve wracking procedure.

KM_Chassis_026

Cut almost complete. The chassis was completely dismantled, degreased and cleaned upon completion of this operation to remove any cutting debris from the gear train.

KM_011

Power bogies in position, along with roof and lower firebox. The main part of the build is almost done. Detailing beginning.

 

 

KM_009

The loco dismantled into it’s major components. The mounting arrangement allows the power bogies to be removed whilst the lower firebox remains attached to the main body.

KM_014

Some detail parts – a vacuum tank and Safety valves, all scratchbuilt. Pencil tip and US dime show how small these items are.

KM_016

 

KM_017

Main body detailing almost complete, including tank fillers, turbo generator, head lamp, smokebox door dart, brake cylinders and actuating arms (alongside lower firebox). Still to add are tool boxes alongside the smokebox.

KM_015

LHS of completed main structure showing vac tank. blow down valve, etc.

KM_018

KM_019

Into Primer

KM_020

Then into all over black. Satin for the main body, matt for smokebox and frame front

KM_021

KM_022

Cow catchers (pilots) for the power bogies. Cobbled together from bits of brass strip and some etchings.

KM_023

Painted

KM_028

Mounted on the outboard ends of the power bogies. Look like NGG16 garratt power bogies!

KM_027

KM_026

Loco fully assembled, just awaiting the lining.

KM_033

Lining Out

KM_034

Almost completed model, including lining, varnishing and addition of name “Hercules” (Well, it’s supposed to be powerful!) and builders plates (courtesy of Narrow Planet).

KM_035

From the rear. The slight lean observable has since been corrected.

KM_036

Internal electrical connections to DCC chip

KM_037

Picture showing home made PCB containing the DCC control chip shoved up into the firebox.

KM_038

 

 

 

KM_039

Pictures showing completed loco with Front and Rear lights. I think these are too bright and need toning down a little, as well as the colour hue adjusting.

There are still a few things to do to the loco to finish it off. These are installation of fine lead ballast into the tanks, installation of couplers and weatherng. Couplers and lead ballasting has subsequently been completed. Weathering still to be done, along with amending the safety valves, and building the ashpan.

And that is how I build a locomotive!

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Building the Kitson Meyer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s